Executive Director, Institute of Comparative Law and Legal Sociology at Peking University Law School
Ph.D., Peking University, December 1997, Jurisprudence;
LL.M., Peking University, July 1987, Legal theory;
LL.B., Jilin University, Jan.1982, Law.
Courses of teaching:
Chinese Judicial System (in English);
Comparing Legal Systems of China and the U.S. (in English);
Study on Western Philosophy of Law.
Subject areas for supervising students' research:
Judicial system, jurisprudence, comparative law, study on Western philosophy of law, torts, comparative legislative systems of China and the US.
※On the Methods of Identifying Guiding Cases ㄜㄜ Based on the Trial Experience§ Peking University Law Journal, No. 3, 2009, pp. 457-468, (in Chinese);
※Identification and Application of the Guiding Elements of a Guiding Case§ Legal Science Monthly, No. 10, 2008, pp. 89-101, (in Chinese);
※On the Guidance of the Guiding Cases§ㄛLaw and Social evelopment, No. 6, 2007, pp.40-51, (in Chinese);
※Toward Harmony ㄜㄜ Analysis of the Civil Society in Current China§ Journal of Peking University, No. 4, 2005, pp.105-114, (in Chinese)˙
※The Significance of Establishing a Precedent System, the Path to Having it in China and a Response to ※Questioning 'Case Law' ㄜㄜ A Perspective of Comparative Law§ Law and Social Development No. 6, 2004, pp.98-113, (in Chinese);
※Towards a Precedent System in China ㄜㄜ One Method of Institutionalization of the Rule of Law in China§, Harvard China Review, Vol. V, No.1 Spring 2004, pp. 60-64, (in English);
※A Preliminary Study on Chinese Traditional Ideas from the Viewpoint of the Rule of Law§, Journal of Peking University, No.5, 2003, pp.93-102, (in Chinese);
※On the Methodology of Law and its Application in the Study of the Rule of Law§, Journal of Renmin University, No.3, 2003, pp. 138-145, (in Chinese);
※Touching down Life, Breaking through Taboo: A Way of Thinking of Reflexive Law ㄜㄜ On Law as an Autopoietic System§ Law and Social Development, No. 1, 2003, pp. 13-29, (in Chinese);
※A Comparative Study on Case Law §, Journal on Comparative Legal StudyㄛSeries No.4, 2002, pp. 79-94, (in Chinese);
※Dynamics from Ideal to Realityㄜㄜ The Rule of Law in China§, Social Science in China, Summer 2002, pp. 14-29 (in English);
※Regulating the Judiciary Through Case Law ㄜㄜ A Way to Get Out of Dilemma§,(Sociology of Law) Vol. 57, 2002, pp. 191-199. (In Japanese);
※A Study on the Methods of Legal Reasoning in Judicial Judgments ㄜㄜ the Art of Argumentation§ㄛChinese Legal Sciences, No. 5, 2001, (Serial No.102) pp. 42-53, (in Chinese);
※On Value Consensus of Laws ㄜㄜ a Study on How to Deal with a Paradox of the Process of the Rule of Law in China§ㄛ Law and Social Development No. 5, 2001, pp. 7-23, (in Chinese);
※Academic Spirit of Law Schools§, Law Science Monthly, Vol. 228, No. 11, 2000, pp. 9-10, (in Chinese);
※Double Playing of Formal Rules and Value Judgments ㄜㄜ A Preliminary Study on Methods of Legal Reasoning§ Comparative Law Study (Quarterly ), (Series No.2),2000, pp. 132-145, (in Chinese);
※Succeeding and Surpassing ㄜㄜ a Review on the History of Chinese Legal Theory in the First Half of the 20th Century§ Peking University Law Journal, No. 1, 2000, pp. 70-91, (in Chinese) ;
"Another Way of Judicial Reform: Achieving Justice through Legal Reasoning" CASS Journal of Law Vol. 21, 1999 (Series No.5) pp. 21-27, (in Chinese).
Legal Reasoning and Legal InstitutionㄛThe Press of Shandong Renmin, 2003, (in Chinese);
Law as an Autopoietic System (Translation from English, written by GUNTHER TEUBNER), Peking Univ. Press, 2004, (in Chinese).
Activities of International Exchange:
1) Harvard University Law School, Fulbright Scholar on the Methods of Judicial Precedent System in America, Sept. 2010 每 July 2011;
2) Stanford University, Visiting Professor of Overseas Studies, the Stanford Program in Beijing, School of Humanities & Sciences, Sept. 2004﹛每 June 2007;
3) Harvard-Yenching Institute, Harvard, Visiting Scholar on Civility, Cultural Value and Legal Reasoning ㄜㄜ Toward a Civil Society based on the Rule of Law, Aug. 2003 每 June 2004;
4) Yale Law School, Senior Visiting Scholar at the China Law Center, on the Possibility of a Precedent System in China, Jan. 2003 每 July 2003;
5) Hokkaido University, Japan, Visiting Lecturer at Faculty of Law, July 4 每 July 10, 2002; Sept. 23, 2006 每 Sept 29, 2006;
6) Harvard University, Visiting scholar of East Asian Legal Studies at the Law School, Aug. 1995 每 June, 1997;
7) University of Heidelberg, Germany, Research Fellow at Faculty of Law on the Development of EU productive Liability Law, Oct. 1999 每 April 2000;
8) The University of Salzburg, Austria, April 3 每 April 5, 2000, Visiting Lecturer at Faculty of Law;
9) The University of Vienna, Austria, Visiting Lecturer at Sinology Department, June 6 每 10, 2002;
10) Salzburg Seminar, Salzburg, Austria, Freeman Fellow of Session 390
(International Legal Perspective on Human Right) August 1-8,2001;
11) Salzburg Seminar, Salzburg, Participant of Freeman Symposium 2002
(East Asia ㄜㄜ The United States: A Search for Common Values) Austria, June 1st 每 June 5th, 2002;
12) Section Chair, participant, the Symposium of East Asian Jurisprudence, Nanjing, Oct. 2000; Hong Kong, Feb. 2002;
Sapporo, Oct. 2004; Taipei, March 2006;
13) Head of Chinese Delegation, China-US Faculty Exchange Program,
sponsored by the East West Center of the US and the PRC Ministry of Education, June 2005, July 2007;
14) Member of Academic Committee of the Future Leaders' Retreat Program of Nippon Foundation Group Programs, March 2006 to May 2009;
15) Member of Organization Committee and General Coordinator of the 24th Congress of the International Association of Philosophy of Law and Social Philosophy, Beijing, September 15-19, 2009.
1) Vice Secretary-General, Jurisprudence Institute of China Law Society (IVR China), Jan. 1998 每 2006;
2) Board Member, Jurisprudence Institute of China Law Society (IVR China), Jan. 2003 每 Present;
3) Member, China Law Society, May 1986 每 Present.
Professional Honors, awards and fellowships:
※The Award for Excellent Articles§, issued by the Jurisprudence Institute of the China Law Society, January 2003;
※The Honor of Third Class of the Award of Excellent Articles of First for Young and Middle Age Scholars§, sponsored by Chinese Legal Sciences, April 2003;
※The First Class Award on Teaching of Peking University§ (co-author honor), December 2001;
※The Tongshan Award for Excellent Teaching of Peking University§ December 2001;
※The Award for Excellent Research Article§ issued by Law School of Peking University, May 2000;
Freeman Fellow, Salzburg Seminar, Salzburg, Austria, (Session 390, International Legal Perspective on Human Rights) August 1-8, 2001;
Fellow of the EU-China Higher Education Cooperation, University of Heidelberg, Germany, Oct.1999 每 April 2000.